Thursday, January 1, 2015

10 Steps to a Simplified Life

I don’t always make “New Year’s Resolutions” because, well quite frankly, the passion and sincerity that exists somewhere between the 6th of December and the 1st of the new year fades quickly when kids get sick, or the dog ate something… you know, life kind of interrupts the dream of being a better version of myself.

There is a pastor who we know and love very much who says; “God loves us just as we are, and loves us too much to let us stay that way”. I have always loved that because it always gave me hope that not only could I change, but that I was meant to.

This year- 2015 I have major changes I want to make in my life and in my home and family life. This year I have 12 resolutions. I thought about filling up my blog in January expounding on each one, but as this is my first post of the New Year- the official launch of “Bowl full of Blessings ”- I thought I would narrow down this post to just one of my resolutions. SIMPLIFY OUR LIVES!

Ha, narrow it down huh? When I got into my plans to help simplify our lives, there are over 10 things to do to accomplish that and in those 10 things, another 10. Wait! This doesn't sound simple. I read somewhere that simple doesn't mean easy, it means simple to do. That’s what I have pulled together.
I think we could all use some simplicity in our lives so I am very excited to say Hi there! Welcome to my blog and here are 10 ways we plan on simplifying our lives.

#1: UNSUBSCRIBE!!!!

I don’t know about you but I have hundreds of emails everyday from all over the place. Ya know that one website I wanted to look at but had to give my email address to get in? I have lots and lots of those emails. It makes it harder to find the emails you want to get. So, numero uno on my list to simplify my life… unsubscribe.

#2: DITCH THE ELECTRONICS!

Ok, clearly I am not suggesting to make a run to a recycle place and dump all of our electronics, but rather I am suggesting- unplug. Everyone! Maybe it’s after dinner and before breakfast. I don’t know when the best time is to do it as a family, but I do know- most nights of the week you can walk into my house and you will find Ben on the couch on his phone, Tristan in his room on his DS or IPod or WIIu, and I am somewhere in between watching YouTube videos on homesteading or how to milk a cow. We spend our evenings separate… when we spent all day separated. So for us, it’s taking a breather- and breathing together. I found some really great blog posts on this topic at the Shabby Creek Cottage blog She also talks about 10 ways to simplify…. It turns out when I was done with my list, I too had 10 things.

#3: SCHEDULE DOWN TIME: 

Doing tons and tons of reading on this topic almost every single article I read mentioned or suggested “schedule down time” in their list of ways to simplify. Hey, I agree- how do you schedule down time? Well… I have already kind of done that on my own. I get home from work about an hour before Tristan gets out of school. I could get a lot done in that hour, but instead I make a conscious effort to stop thinking for 30 -60 minutes. Let my brain rest, watch part of a movie, and lay down- something. I know not all of us get the opportunity to stop moving until we hit the pillow, but to allow room to take a breath- I support the idea that is good for both your physical and your mental health.

#4: FIND A MANTRA

While trolling pinterest the other day I came across this saying, it’s the minimalist mantra:  I love this from "The Motivated Type" on Etsy. . Though I have no intention of becoming a true minimalist… I would like to embrace the mantra on a more regular basis. This doesn't have to be your mantra but besides the Bible, we all need phrases or words or songs that remind us, reinforce us, and challenge us to stay the course we are on… or in fact, choose a new one.

#5: LIVE WITH LESS

I have been trying to throw out, donate, and keep our “stuff” to a bare minimum. But do you know what moving shows you? It shows you that you kind of suck at bare minimums. I love this post in " Young House Love" (by far one of my most favorite blogs) about {Living with less}.  Look, the guys have one bottle each that acts as their shampoo, face wash, and body wash. What do I have? Um…. 5 or 6…. something like that.  My make up…. Though it’s pretty organized…. There is a lot of it. At this point I am going to use the whole “living with less” excuse to buy the {Urban Decay} Naked Pallets 1 and 3…. I think that will about cover my need for eye shadow- at least. But really…. Where can I cut down??? That is part of the process for us.

#6: PRIORITIZE OUR LIFE let go of what doesn’t matter

Such a great piece from imperfect homemaking.com- I love her advice for getting things in order and getting rid of that which doesn't fit into our order is stellar and right on.  For us, it might not be so much “things” as it would “acts” or “behaviors”. There is a good amount of griping, yelling, and fighting that happens here over all kinds of silly and unimportant things. I think that taking a look at our lives and identifying the priorities - and making those the things or people or actions that we put our energy into is going to be very eye opening and has the potential to grow this little family even closer together.

#7: GET ORGANIZED

For those of you know me, and even more so- those who know me well, I am a fairly organized and detailed person. However, there are many areas of my life and my home that leave something to be desired. Keeping a calendar- which we do, having spaces in your home that are organized and put together so that clutter doesn't have a chance to take over- everything has a place to go. During this month I will be posting some projects I am working on, like our magnetic chalk board wall calendar and the re-do of our command center. These are just two of the many organization projects I have on the docket for our home. Also getting my planner more organized, my blog planner, closets, drawers, the refrigerator, even the garage. I believe having these things and spaces more organized and purposeful will lend to the strength of simplifying our lives. Check out these projects: {My Organization Pinterest Page} { Cre8tive- home- decoration.com} { A Bowl Full of Lemons. net }

#8: CASH BUDGET (Work towards becoming financially free)

This is always a work in progress but we have been pretty lax in our budget keeping and cash only living. I have read {“Total MoneyMakeover” by Dave Ramsey.}
It’s pretty inspirational but will take a great deal of sacrifice and dedication. We haven’t done much since reading it in terms of taking steps to move forward and upward but that’s part of our 2015 Resolutions. We are “resolute” to becoming free from the burden and chains of financial issues. Part of this is also working towards us being able to buy a small plot of land and home in the near future- as I desperately want to homestead on a farm. I stumbled upon   { Fun cheap or free.com} and found this post…. {“How we are managing our cash budget this month.”} They have some really great pointers- some I may even snatch up.

#9: IN THE WORD and out of the world

I am a 36 year old woman who was raised in church but who never got a full understanding of who God is until I married my husband. Over the years we have experienced our ups and downs, like everyone else, some lower and higher than others- but we have also experienced a real and present God in our lives. It’s unfortunate that we don’t spend the time we should in the Word and in prayer unless of course we’re standing on the cliff and don’t want to taste the dirt again. So part of my plan to simplify my life is to stay connected and grow daily in my relationship with God. My sister bought me a yearlong devotional by Joyce Meyer called {“Trusting God Day by Day”} for Christmas. I am excited to start it… oh wait; I already have as you are reading this on the 1st…. I promise it’s the first thing I will do the morning of the 1st.

#10:  MORE FAMILY TIME TOGETHER

As part of step 2 and step 6- family time together is precious for us. Our 9 year old is growing fast and I am afraid that we all too often waste that time we have together for our own personal ventures or plans. Another great blog {Double the Batch.com} has a great post {“HOW TO LIMIT SCREEN TIME AND HAVE FUN AS A FAMILY”} besides cutting back on individual electronic time; we are also making a commitment to eat dinner every night together at the table. Look, this is a national movement but I was raised that no matter what- when dinner was ready, we were at the table. Ben and I swore and swore that we would raise Tristan that way. Have we? Um, no!  Sometimes Ben and Tristan will eat at the table and I will be in the living room…. Or we will all be eating in separate rooms. It’s a terrible habit we all have that I mean to break- ASAP! Tristan got a lot of board games this Christmas, adding to our impressive board game collection. We have already cracked open “Sorry” and “Clue”…. Family game time is a great way to spend time together. We laugh, sometimes cry, and just have a great time trying to beat each other at which ever game were playing, where undoubtedly Ben becomes the villain.

These are the 10 things I will be attempting to accomplish this year to help simplify our lives. I would love to hear what you do to help keep your lives from over running you! Please post! Would love to hear from you!

Looking forward to 2015 here at bowlfullofblessings.com

** I have not been paid or reimbursed for any of the blogs or products I have featured in this post. All are just my suggestions and favorites**



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note!